Monday, August 4, 2014

Start Over

I'm working on a collaboration with printmaker Justin Myer Staller. We are working on a double book, two separate "stories" connected by an interest in cut-up writing. I've been working on pasting up the layout of my side of the book, which is typeset in 10 pt "Typewriter." It seems like such an odd idea for someone to have made lead type that looks exactly like typewriter text. The letters are monospaced just like they would be on a real typewriter. So odd!

:: Typewriter 10 pt lead type ::

My text is my dreams. Short pieces of writing describing dreams I've had over the last ten years. My "images" are the backs of wood type. I like the idea of printing the back of letters so that they can't be read. It makes me think of how people describe not being able to read in their dreams.

 :: illegible alphabet ::

 :: draft of a page spread ::

Start Over is the title. An infinite ribbon. Back to the dreams, every night. Start over.

No comments:

Post a Comment